Tuesday, March 24, 2009

NYC

So I went to New York yesterday. It was just for a day for my sister to visit a grad school. It was a nice change though. This has been the longest I've remained in the Oh/PA/WV Ohio Valley area and I really needed a break. I was starting to develop the really awful grammar/accent of my birthplace which makes me want to die so instead of dying it's better to take a break and leave the area.

When I go places with my sister there's always an interesting reaction. We look... a lot alike. I don't think we look like twins but outside of people who know us it seems to be the general assumption. There's a lot of people who ask 'are you two twins?'. I don't think it helps that when we're together there's often lively discussion that's hard to understand if you don't know our language quirks, body language and inside jokes well. We could be talking about zebra's to the normal ear but really it's something having to do with church. It's complicated. Don't write it off as being a 'twin language' because it's not and we aren't twins by a long stretch because my Mom's a twin and it's really unusual for a twin to have twins... and I'm two (almost three) years older.

While in NYC we did manage to make a stop at Lush and had some really great food. I love having great food. Hummus on lovely bread is always better when in a quaint cafe with all kinds of people and languages buzzing around you. Never does a red velvet cupcake taste so good as when it's from a special bakery recommended by a friend. Ugh. I love good food!

Sadly I'm back to 'normal' now and am leaving for work in a bit. Work people still kind of suck but I like my job so they aren't going to run me off.

No comments: