Monday, December 8, 2008

PASS

P - pull
A - aim
S - squeeze
S - sweep

If you didn't know how to use a fire extinguisher you do now. Also don't put water on a grease fire (including paraffin wax) it only makes it worse.

Why yes, I did do fire safety training today. We also did OSHA which for my job was all about blood/fluid born illness and such. There was also the usual new hire filling out paperwork and policy stuff too.

I thought it was going to be completely awful all morning. The lady doing the training was mean and the room was divided into two groups. Those over 30 at the main table and one guy the same age as me who was also shafted to the 'kids table' as they called it. I honestly sat at a card table like it was a family thanksgiving all day. In the end it turns out the dude the same age as me is pretty cool. He like Battlestar Galactica, Heroes and a lot of the same music I do. In the end it ended up getting better. We even finished early at three. Then our real boss came in and talked to us for 45 mins of unpaid time because we all had clocked out at three.

Tomorrow is driver training which can go several ways:
1. Awful, because it snows, the van I have to test in is a manual, the trainer is crazy or I just fail at life.
2. OK I drive ok and am just 'meh'. This is acceptable.
3. They have a weird driving thing where I just have to sit there all day because I can't even rent a car since I'm not 25 yet.
4. Amazing and everyone marvels how well I drive a van going back to the days of hauling around my friends on the academic team to out 'social events' being sure to have juice boxes and snacks on hand. (I promise at the time my life's ambition was NOT to be a soccer Mom.)

Then next week we'll be visiting the state institution meeting with people who have potential to thrive in the personal care home setting. Then we're doing shifts in the other home (on the other side of Pittsburgh, which thankfully transportation will be provided for us since it would be a 2 hourish commute not counting traffic) till our people move in after Christmas, the 29th to be specific.

Did I mention on top of this I'm still at the 'R US'? I'm not sure for how long I'll be doing full days of real work then going to there for a full shift till midnight or later. Adventures right? Did I mention I haven't done any of my Christmas shopping yet? Not a single bit. As in NO ONE is getting a gift thus far, not even my parents and sister. Something must be done about this tomorrow and Wednesday... because those are pretty much the only days I can do anything about it.

Randomness: The movie Amazing Grace is pretty good. Then again I have always had a soft spot for Ioan Gruffudd since Horatio Hornblower

1 comment:

Jillian said...

Please, please, please...just remember that LEGALLY you cannot run a red light just because no one is coming. Also, don't run over any trash cans.

Good luck.