Monday, December 15, 2008

Physical Restraints and Innuedos

Innuendos are hard to avoid when the trainer is saying 'now take him from behind'. The room would burst into laughter and snickers as people played into it more and more. We learned physical interventions today... well it was supposed to be interventions in general but it was focused on physical. It was a day of 'next time do it harder', 'she likes it rough', 'yeah your legs between his' ect... My comedic high point was when they paired me up with 'the dude' (who's been mentioned before). He's about 6' tall and I'm 5'1''. The hold basically had my head either in his crotch or his ass. Extremely awkward even if we're cool music buds and have been training together for over a week now.

Over all I hated all the holds we did today. Every single one we did would end up leaving a bruise on someone if they were struggling (if they aren't struggling they shouldn't be in a hold). I know better ones where if I hurt anyone it would be myself that I'm much more comfortable with. Truth be told I would rather not use physical intervention and thankfully the branch I'm in doesn't do it (unless it's worst case going after others kind of deal). I'm a fan of verbal intervention and giving people the opportunity and space they need to bring themselves down with support standing by if they should need help. We touched on the behavior rainbow of joy a bit. It's an arc of escalation, out of control period followed by deescalation ... well that's my jobs version. The version I knew before was more intense and will be the one I think about.

Now for something completely different... I dressed up a The DoctorDonna for Brian's Super Hero themed 30th birthday party. It was fun and no one knew who I was and were inappropriate with my sonic screwdriver. Then I was sick for the next 48 hours of the weekend sleeping or attempting to keep food down. I didn't work at the 'r us' because I couldn't do either of those there. At the moment I'm getting ready for bed leaving a video I need to edit till the morning.

15 days till my birthday. I'll find out tomorrow if I have to work on it or not. I'm trying to be positive and not bet on me getting the midnight shift.

No comments: